THE HISTORY OF USAGARA SECONDARY SCHOOL
Usagara High School was built by a community of Indians in late 1940s and named Government Indian School. In 1956 it was renamed Karimjee Secondary School. The majority of students were Indians with only a handful of Africans. The institution was a day school from its establishment. The school was nationalized and renamed Usagara Secondary School in 1969.
In 1966 the former Park Hotel on plot no 312/60 and 356/56 was transformed into the only hostel for the school. This hostel is used until now for the Advanced –Level male students. The other students are day scholars
The area of the school is about 2.5 hectors (6.02 acres) , excluding the playground. Our school offers six years of secondary schooling. This means both Ordinary and Advanced –Level secondary school education . We offer both arts and science at both levels.
When the school was built in the late 1940s it was reasonably removed from residential area. Also, the population of the town was small with limited and only petty criminality. The environment of the school is now sufficiently peaceful for studies.
Usagara High School in Tanzania is a day school for both girls and boys located in one of the lower income quarters of Tanga City.